Saturday, February 10, 2007

Meatloaf Anyone?

Alas, I am finally writing again. After a month of craziness and some computer problems, I'm back to blogging. I'm struggling with the inspiration here, but forcing myself to do it. I figure it will get easier as time goes by. To be honest, it is just really hard to think about summarzing my days and thoughts in a few words. It is hard to even know what to say when there is so much to say. But I'm going to do my best to help you learn the context!

Anyhow, we recently found out that our dear friends Samuel and Techi were taking the opportunity to travel with their daughter to Israel. Patty was offered a scholarship to study in the university in Israel. We are all really sad to have seen them gone because they are family to us. I am excited for them too because I know that there are not opportunities like this in Peru. It has been the longing of their hearts and that of their children, that someday they might study at University.

Here is a paragraph that has encouraged me lately, taken from Jean Vanier's book "Community and Growth". If you have not read it - it is a jem.

"The more a community grows and gives life, sometimes by sending some of its members far away, the deeper its roots must grow into its soil. Expansion has to be accompanied by deepening. The more a tree grows, the stronger its roots must be; otherwise, it will be uprooted by the first storm. Jesus speaks of a house built on sand. A community's solid foundation is in the heart of God. If is God who is at the source of the community, and the more it grows and expands, the more it needs people who stay close to this source.
There is external growth, which is nearly always in expansion. But there is also internal and secret growth, which is a deeper rooting in prayer in Jesus, in greater love and forgiveness between brothers and sisters, and greater compassion and welcome. This growth is not visible but it creates a tangible atmosphere: a lighter joy, a denser silence, a peace which touches people's hearts and leads to a true experience of God."

On a lighter note - we are having meatloaf, mashed potatoes (with gravy) and string beans, curtousy of Linsey. I informed my friends, that I have never had meatloaf in my life and that meatloaf is something we Californians only see on TV or in the movies. (Or maybe its just my family???) Linsey and David informed me that meatloaf is a regular dinner treat in Michigan and Crestview, Florida. I'm a little suspicous, but ready to try something new :)

2 comments:

sjoh said...

Sarah, I honestly, LOVE meatloaf. I haven't had it in like 6-7 years though. GOOD meatloaf is like GOOD homemade mac and cheese... great comfort food! glad you got the blog! i'll let Highway folks know about it.
-stevejoh

deidre said...

Sarah, so good to hear more about what you're doing. I love that you share your thoughts and heart for others. I'll keep checking out your blog...
With Love,
~deidre
p.s. my mom's meatloaf is good...she's a transplant from Illinois though...perhaps that's why she makes it :)