Happy Valentines Day everyone! Here in Lima we not only celebrate the day of St. Valentine, but we also celebrate "Dia de Amistad" which means, "Friendship Day!"
I am thankful for your friendship! So be celebrated!!!
As for love - alas - there is no one in sight, in mind, IN THE PICTURE and despite the fact that I am whistled and hollered at, at least 20 times a day, there is not one guy who I fancy or who fancies me (at least one that I know about). I guess I'll just keep praying and try and keep a good attitude about it all.
No, but really. We are celebrating friendship here. Monica invited some of us over for Valentine Milkshakes on her rooftop. Yes - it is summer here and well, I love it!
Today was a great day. On Wednesdays, we usually meet at the office for a few minutes and then leave to make visits to our friends who have transitioned from the streets back to their homes. Jose Luis and I went to visit two of our friends in the same district but who live far from each other. Our first friend lives so far outside of the center of Lima that once we got off of the bus (after at least an hour), we walked 15 minutes up into the dirt hills to reach her house. It was a humbling experience to be a part of her reality and know that my friend continues to fight to make good decisions for herself and her family instead of heading back to street life - which in some ways might feel like an easier option at this point. After visiting with our friend and her two children we returned to the "Tragamoneda" translated "Swallowing Coins" - which is a Casino located in the central market area of the district that we were in. At the front door of the Tragamoneda, we found our other friend and once again hopped on a bus for another adventure in a different direction to visit his house and family. Upon arrival we were invited to eat an ice cream cone (which was most satisfying in the heat) and then spent some time sharing with our friend and hearing about how he has been doing in his job as a "Cobrador" - the person who collects money on the buses. Perhaps in another blog I will explain this better.
Happy dia de San Valentin and Dia de Amistad!
Wednesday, February 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment