Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Life and What not to do...

Have you ever seen the movie "Newsies"? Its a movie/musical based on the true story of a group of children in New York city in the late 1800's and early 1900's who were very poor and sold news papers to make a living. Tonight, Monica and I sat and watched Newsies (she sang along) - it is a great pic if you haven't seen it, and after Monica told me what it was about, I remembered the stories that Nana (my grandma who passed away last year) used to share with me. She was born in the early
1900's and living as a child through the Great Depression - mostly living on the streets with her brother trying to make a living. One of the ways they worked, was by selling news papers. I don't think she every saw the movie. I wonder what she would have thought of it. Whatdo you think aunt Sherise? Have you seen it? It reminds me a lot of my friends who live on the streets.

Today I arrived at our meeting to find out that last night during the street outreach time there was a lot of violence. Pray for our friends. Pray for us as we go out to visit them in the place that has become their home. Pray for our friends to continue to return home, or new homes, and alternative positive places where they might make
their home.

What not to do...
Do not open a can of Afrikano (terokal - a brand of shoe glue) carelessly.
Today, to my own surprise I opened a can of terokal because I wanted to use it to make cards for many of you! What I didn't know was that it was hard to open, and when the top finally popped off, it was spilled all over my favorite jeans and on my hands. It burned a bit! Linsey sacraficially helped me rub it around a bit and peel some off and then we discovered that probably the only thing that is going to get that stuff off is turpentine. YUM! So, I'm fixing (yes, David, this ones for you)
to pour paint thinner over my jeans to try and peel off this stuff.

The other day, we were at the office making cards for friends of the mission, and we were using the shoe glue that our friends who live on the streets often inhale. Someone had the idea to pour the terokal onto a plastic plate so that everyone could use it. I was told, that within 5 MINUTES, the shoe glue had eaten through the plastic plate and the glue was sticking to the table! This seriously alarmed us as we thought about what damage the shoe glue is doing to the little lungs and brains
of our friends. Pray that chains would be broken. Pray that we would know how to meet them where they are at.

No comments: