Thursday, August 9, 2007

Back to Blogging - Back to LimaLand

I have been on a blog hiatus for a little while. I am out of practice. Thanks to Linsey, my new blog accountability partner, I'm getting back into it :) I have missed writing.

So, here is a poem that I wrote upon my return to Lima. It is really cold - sometimes it is hard to concentrate because all I can think about is the cold. Our friends who live on the streets and those who live in the poorer areas of Lima - suffer greatly during these times. I'm finding it is a mind and attitude battle...and lots of cups of warm tea!

Written on August 4th

Splashes of Wintery cold
The air is wet with thick drops of dew-
It is the dew that molds
and Mellows into your clothing
And all of a sudden the mustiness becomes apparent in the air and all around
The bundles of puffy blankets-
The skies as solemn
As the blueness of ones heart
The fridgedness reaches to the inner being-
The sensitive places-
the ones that cannot
and do not like change-
do not like the monotonous
bland sky-like the same meal eaten for 5 years in a row.
The light I realize must arrive from those around me-
It must appear through a lens that perhaps is only found within-
The window of reaching far to see the faces and beauty-
When you really look, it is not so far away after all.
The smiles, the children beautifying life by being themselves-
laughter-
As chocolate cake is cut and fed to a multitude-
Dance as the beat, drums rhythmically
As the tune of life dwells from that inner being-
Once filled with rattling bones-
But given a new chance for life.
Warmth is evident.

There is so much to write about - to share. The adventures of the last months have been many. Many meals with friends and family in the States, visit to my parents new church, a visit to my favorite city in the world, San Francisco - and a visit to the beautiful little spot that has become a refuge - Half Moon Bay - A super fun cultural wedding, visits to friends who were getting married, who had babies recently - Nebraska - visiting with all of the amazing people from Word Made Flesh who live around the world - having my eyes opened even more. Learning and practicing contemplative prayer - spending quiet moments with Jesus in the beautiful Nebraska City - forests, sun and greenery. Iowa for my birthday with Monica and fam and Linsey too! Seattle for a few days with long time friends - ahhhh- so refreshing - Colin's band played there - Lydia a college friend! Visits with my cousins in Oregon - and back to Cali for a short stay before returning to Lima.

I will write more soon!

No comments: