Thursday, August 16, 2007

The quake

Well, it was quite the day yesterday. The morning hours were spent with the adolescent kids we know - we had a wild game of soccer - and in my mind it was one of those unforgettable moments. I think I had the ball kicked through my legs about 10 times. What happened to all the mad soccer skills?

The cold lifted for a couple of hours in the afternoon and we saw the sun for the first time in days! Anna and I sat and drank coffee while the sun beat down on us. It was magnificent! Thank I came back to work a bit at the house - Linsey was laying on the couch taking in the sun, "like a cat" as she described and a few hours later was over at the Langley's to have dinner together and celebrate Monica and the team of 6 girls that are arriving tonight to be with us for 4 months! We are super excited!

As the night progressed we found ourselves in the middle of a very large earthquake. Being the most experienced in earthquakes - thanks to the '89 earthquake in San Fran that left me freaked out for 2 years sleeping on the floor of my parents bedroom and then in my doorway (as doorways are the most stable place in the house apparently) - all eyes were on me. What could we do? We all huddled - the Langley's and their daughters, Linsey and I - in one doorway. The quake kept going...and going...I had never felt anything like it. Then we decided maybe we should split up...so then we distributed between 3 doorways and stood there...it kept going! At one point Linsey went back to her chopping - she was making us dinner- and it started again...back to the doorway. Later, Monica and David arrived from another area in Lima saying that there was havoc and craziness on the streets - things breaking and people screaming. All this to say, we are ok, however we do not know if some of our friends are ok. Please pray for the people of Ica and Chincha - the epicenter of the earthquake was about 90 miles south of Lima near these cities. We are wondering how of some of our friends are here in Lima as some of their homes are not structurally sturdy. Many of the old buildings in the center of Lima most likely will be evacuated.

Thank you for your emails and prayers.

7 comments:

linda said...

Sarah, praise God you are alive and well. The news came on TV last night that the death toll was over 300 at that point! I didn't want to bother your parents with a call for information, since I figured their phone was ringing constantly. So I called first thing this morning to find you had contacted them 40 minutes after the quake. Bless your heart. Will be praying and reading your blog to stay current with this ongoing situation. Love you dearly. Linda.

sjoh said...

Sarah, we're praying for you back home @ highway... glad you're ok.

Anonymous said...

Sarah! Yeah that you and the kids are safe! Praise God! I think the minute we heard Lima--all prayers went your way...I will add you to the prayer letter at church.. Stay safe and we are thinking and praying for all in Lima
Paula Osorio:)

Anonymous said...

Sarah,

I am glad to hear that y'all are safe. I am praying for y'all and the kids. y'all are so near and dear to my heart. I break to think that I cannot be there to help in some way. God is good, and y'all are serving an awesome, awesome God. Praise God!!!!
Howard Young

Anonymous said...

Dear Sarah,
We had been away and heard about the quake on the car news station as we were driving home to the bay area.... Very spotty reporting that gave almost no real usable info, had me madly praying for you, the team and people in Lima. I was so thankful to come home to your dad's email that you were safe and to check your blog,
Thank You for thinking about us all in the midst of your crisis and the confusion surrounding the events! You are a dear heart!
We will be checking up in the days to come. God is good!

Pat said...

Sarah, I just learned of your blog tonight at your parents' worship service. (Awesome, as usual!). I had emailed Mark earlier and heard that you were OK, but good to discover your blog and hear it from you. We'll be praying as you get out into the community and see how your friends are doing. Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

Sarah,
I am so happy to know that you are okay. I am thinking of you. Hope you are well.
Love Heather