Saturday, November 10, 2007

2 Months Later...


Ok, so it has been almost 2 months since I have posted a blog. This blog goes out to all the blog fans (especially you Amy :), who have been waiting for me to write again. What can I say? Sometimes life gets full and I get lazy. All I can think to write is a list of the things that have happened because it would be hard to write in detail about everything...so here it goes:

1) In September I attended my first Peruvian wedding ever. It was beautiful and definitely Peruvian style. From the moment they arrived at the reception, the radiant couple (friends of mine from church, Eliana and Roberto) were dancing on the floor. Their arrival was at 8:30pm, and the dancing didn't stop until 3am. We left around 2am. I had an opportunity to catch the bouquet (but didn't), pull the string on the cake (yes, its another tradition)...single women pull the string on the cake to see who gets a ring attached to the end of the string, receive my cake to take home in a box (not to eat there -another Peruvian tradition), be and dance with lots of friends, toast to everything and anyone who stopped by the table, wear high heels and a fun red dress.

2)September was also filled with moments spent orienting and getting to know our Servant team ladies - who are soooo awesome and fun!

3) In September we started the ladies Bible study again! It has been wonderful to meet with our friends - some who are living on the streets and others who are struggling to stay off of the streets and or who live at home. We have been blessed by these growing relationships and moments to share with our friends (almost all whom are mothers).

4) In September I "broke up" with my "non-boyfriend". (You'll have to ask me about that one:)

5) In October Brian, Anna and Sebastian all traveled to Romania to visit the Word Made Flesh community there. We didn't think that Sebastian would be able to go, but he miraculously got a visa in time to meet up with Brian and Anna, where the three of them were getting orientation, learning from the WMF Romania community and hanging out with them. Meanwhile on the home front in Lima, we were spending time with the Langley ladies while their husband and daddy was abroad, having sleep-overs, dinners and fun moments together.

6) In October we had 2 new staff start working with us! They are amazing and both bring so much life to the community. I was working like a mad horse trying to get an orientation manual ready for them...and help us start a new orientation process. It has been fun!

7) On the 19th of October we celebrated (the whole staff community and servant team) anniversaries...years spent in Lima. The Langley's have spent 7 years in Lima! Linsey just completed her 1st year and I completed 2 years on my second round :) We made omelets and spent some time remember and sharing God's faithfulness in our lives over the last years. It was good.

8) At the end of the month, Rachel, Linsey, Monica and I traveled to Santiago, Chile for a women's retreat put on by Women's of the Harvest - who serve North American women who are living out of their context in ministry situations around the world. We also met up with the other Word Made Flesh South American staff ladies. It was a neat time and we were treated like queens! If you would like to know more about what it was like, feel free to email me. I got to share a room with Adriana - my dear friend who I lived with a few years ago. A side note to the retreat - I awoke with jaw problems one morning, and continue to have them :(

9) November has been a wonderful but crazy month. On the 1st I started my next 3 year contract! Yipeeeee!!! On the 2nd and 3rd we had our bi-annual Palabra Hecha Hombre (WMF) Peru meeting. On Saturday we had a lunch to end the meeting and together I think we made out to be around 45 people! It was incredible to see all of the volunteers, board members, staff and friends all together!

10) The 7th we left for campamento "camping trip" with the adolescent kids! There were 12 kids who attended and it was a blast! The servant team ladies and Sebastian worked so hard to make it a super fun, creative and relationship building time. The theme was "God's Faithfulness". My favorite part of the campamento was seeing the boys play hide-and-go-seek on the last night. I think we almost wet our pants we were laughing soooo hard.

Well, that is the last few months in a nut shell. I'll try and post some pics!

Oh! I forgot. Today, Sarah (servant team member), Brian and I ran the Nike 10K! We were with 11,000 other people jogging along and were entertained by a variety of acts along the way; martial arts people, friends sitting on exercise balls who were bouncing up and down (what???), a lady singing "I Will Survive", and our friends who were there to cheer us on. I'll try and post some more pics from what I have written.

Much more to come...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarah!

Yay for a new update! Sorry it took me so long to check it - I guess I had become accustom to the lack of update :-) Glad to hear that campamento went well. How was Thanksgiving? Hope that you guys had a great day together!

Much love and blessings,
Amy

Stacy said...

Sarah
Just to let you know, I check your blog regularly, even when it goes months and it is the same entry. I am still hopeful to see something new, so good job, and there are people that check :)

ps - I checked this a while ago, but now I have not seen another update for some time so I thought Id let you know that people do check.

hope you are well - Stacy

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a full couple of months!! Miss you friend... when are you going to visit. The Alleys are coming in February!! fun, fun!